Re: find

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 13:27, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 13:12, Andy Green wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 07 June 2004 11:59, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone direct me to the light please.
> >
> > - -name ?
> Thanks Andy and Cam for replying but I have checked the man pages for
> the solution but the problem is with the file name being in brackets, I
> have tried using the escape character to get it to search for files with
> the brakets but it keeps spitting out  and error as in my first mail.
> The problem is that it is trying to interpret the the curve brakets and
> not search for the filename with the curve brackets.
> Does anyone else have a suggestion please.
>
> The senario is as follows,
>
> eg I have ten files called (file)a (file)b (file)c etc.
> I need to search for (file)b.
> according to the man pages the correct parameters are as follows,
> find /home \(file\)*
> use esc character to get it to interpret the search incl brackets
> or
> find /home '(file)*'
> this interprets the everything between the quotes as is.
> but I still get invalid predicate.
Ah HA!!
I am genius! no really I am,

ok the correct syntax is to use back ticks found on your tilde key,

Like this
find /in/this/dir/ `(fileinbrackets)*`
tadah!
Chadley Wilson
Soon 2 B RHCE
Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.
Enjoy the adventures of Linux
Linux is easy, lazy people critise, curse and fail.