Re: FC1 -> FC2 Update: DISASTER!!!

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Ok...  I have come to the conclusion that upgrading
> from FC1 to FC2 is a disaster.  DO NOT DO IT UNLESS
> YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME or if you want to spend
> time finding and repairing the mess!
>
> GNOME fails MISERABLY!  The sounds system is MISERABLY
> installed and DOES NOT WORK. It is a FREAKING MESS!!!
>
> Proof:
>
> Starting login process in GNOME results:
> 1) xprop -root | grep XKB
>    gconfigtool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/perhiperals/keyboard/xkb

The upgrade doesn't seem to handle the XFree86 -> X.org conversion
properly. This has been covered in several places already: look for
XkbRules line in the X config, change the "xfree86" string to "xorg" and
these should be gone.

> 2) "An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
> gnome_segv. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.
> (the screen froze up and cannot do a damn thing except reboot)

Hmm. Didn't happen to me but...

> 3) Unable to access /dev/dsp (warning message)
> NO FREAKING SOUND!  NOTE: ALSA is NOT installed in the usual places as taken
> from the ALSA Organization. It is a REDHAT configuration. DUH!!

At least on my system the only "problem" with sound was that ALSA starts
with sound muted. Just turn up volume and it should work (at least did for
me, without any added fiddling with the config)

> 4) Updates from FC2 says there is a PHP ready for upgrade but the freaking
> dependency thing says that installing it WILL BREAK SEVERAL (MANY MANY)
> DEPENDENCIES thoughout the entire system!!!  What is the point of upgrading
> this?

First of all make sure that you don't have any pointers to FC1
repositories, those can cause breakage. Once you've done that, if the
errors still persist we'd need to see exact error messages to see what's
the problem. Eg what exactly are you using to update
the system: yum/up2date/apt..?

	- Panu -