Re: Grub Config

It would appear that on Jun 5, Jim Cornette did say:

> From the requirements that the original poster needed, I see that a GUI tool
> would be quite effective. The tool is just capable for changing the timeout
> and setting the default kernel/ alternate OS. (system-config-boot)
>
> I think the tool is decent to just change these parameters. Messing with the
> grub.conf by most people that just want a system that is easily configurable
> is a good thing, IMO, to make Linux easier to manage for those who might just
> want to setup basic tasks on their system.
>
> I think that knowing what all of the entries in the config files is ideal, but
> not touching the files directly, but through a tool is the safer approach for
> future and a wider user base.
>
> I wouldn't even try to compare which application is the best to use to edit
> files. I do see my tendacies going toward using GUI editors with a cut and
> past, plus a history list for recently opened documents. I use mc and it's
> builtin editor less now than before.
>
> No GUI vs. CLI or best editor arguments here.

I have no problem with gui configuration tools, so long as they are not
designed to prevent manual editing of the configuration files by those
who are comfortable with such editing.

I configure mc & pine to use vim. I always prefer mc to a "gui" file
browser.

The best editor? That depends on who is doing the editing. For me, the
best is vim. I like having 26 named "clipboards" for cut and paste
operations & more:
"a10dd 		# cut to lines into the "a" named register
"jp 		# paste the contents of the "j" named register
:r filename 	# insert contents of filename
:5,8w filename	# write lines 5 through 8 to filename
:<up arrow>	# scroll editor's ":" command history

I always found those "recent" lists to be a nuisance. I start looking
there for a file, I soon forget how to find it the other way (ie where
it's actually located) Then I get very frustrated when something else
replaces it on the recent list... So I disable that feature every place
that I can figure out how.

Actually I wouldn't argue that cli is always better than gui.

In a pure cli world I'd be stuck trying to remember the details of the
syntax of complex cli command forms. And would likely fail.

In a pure gui world, I'd be stuck trying to figure out all those
meaningless pictures. And needing to take too many breaks to keep the
danged rodent from making my hand go numb.

Truth be told though, I do use the gui. But I prefer tools that at least
have text versions suitable for use with vt100 terminals or when x isn't
available. mc and pine are both good examples of how much can be done
with non gui menus that don't depend on x.
My icons are:
<alt>+<F2>commandname
<alt>+<F1>{cursor keys scroll to find the application label...}
<end of list>

    Why I can't configure menus to totally ignore the mouse
    cursor position when not actively clicking is beyond
    me... I hate it when I forget that a keyboard
    activated pull down menu may collide with the forgotten
    mouse cursor making arrow key navigation difficult.

- --
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx>>		/---\	"bla bla bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #