Re: Re: aRts, KDE, Xmms, FC2

Jorge,

This is probably getting a bit off-topic for this list.  My card (Turtle
Beach Santa Cruz) does a reasonable amount of stuff, including
supporting a db50xg midi daughter card from Yamaha that I can't seem to
get working yet under Linux.

I think some reasonable dialog with the Turtle Beach support group might
be the way to go. ALSA does support the db50xg synthesizer, but just not
as a daughter card on my current sound card.

You can do software mixing with ALSA and interact with the various
hardware components via the .asoundrc file.

For more info on that (and its seemingly arcane syntax), see the
following:

1) go to http://www.alsa-project.org/
2) select the documentation link
3) select the asoundrc link

I'm interested in Jack since it does near real-time audio.  One of the
issues when mixing multiple sound tracks digitally is the OS latency.
The real-time kernel tweaks plus the Jack / ALSA combination seem to
provide a professional quality environment.

That plus some MIDI sequencing software and I should be set to write
music on Linux . . . hopefully killing one of my last three reasons for
having a Windows OS available.

I'm working with Wine to get another package running (Enterprise
Architect - a really good, inexpensive UML tool).  Then all I have left
is a chat tool with video cam viewing . . . .

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .