Re: aRts, KDE, Xmms, FC2

On Saturday 05 June 2004 5:04 pm, Mark Eggers wrote:

> What I've done is decided to use ALSA, my own xmms build, and use an
> external player in sound notifications for those programs that use the
> KDE sound notification system.

Hello Mark,

I have some questions. I always see it as wether a soundcard handles multiple
sound streams (e.g. it mixes them) or not.  My desktop machine (with
Soundblaster Live) has no such problem. I can play xmms with the ALSA plugin,
while an aRts-awared kde application is making noise while at the same time
playing some stuff iwth mpg123. That's easy...

Well..my question is...it seems that your soundcard can't handle mixing...so
obviously you need software mixing (be it aRts or anything else). How is that
you can use xmms with ALSA plugin...while at the same time KDE uses another
player for its notfiications...Can you use xmms-with-ALSA while getting a kde
notification? You said you are using alsaplay...but well..at the same time
XMMS is using (thru ALSA) the sound device.. Arghhh my question is: Does ALSA
does this software mixing thing just like aRts? I thought ALSA was a
low-level API (built-in on the kernel) so that applications could talk to it,
rather than using the soundcard driver directly. I also thought that, if you
have one application using ALSA for its output, and another one using ALSA
for its output..that both of them can't send sound at the same time? Am I
right? (obviously we're talking about a cheap sound card that can't handle
it).

Jorge