Re: Filesystem corruption, data loss on usb drives, and more problems with FC2

Andy Green wrote:

On Friday 04 June 2004 03:30, Fernando Perez wrote:

Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1
lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
EXT2-fs error (device sda2): ext2_get_inode: unable to read inode block -
inode=16208, block=65540

Update your kernel to Arjan's latest, there are USB probs in the one in FC2.

As I just reported elsewhere in this thread, the problem remains with Arjan's latest, 100% reproducible.
OpenOffice won't start- CRITICAL
--------------------------------

It simply won't start.  The splash screen comes up, and when the progress
bar finishes, it just stays there.  I tried removing the old ~/.openoffice
directory and all other dot-files related to any previous OpenOffice
version, but this did not help.

Starting ooffice from the cli opens up the shell, but from there any
attempt to open one of the actual programs freezes the window.  Starting
oowrite, oocalc, etc, simply shows the splash dialog running to completion,
which then stays in place forever.

No idea... try to run it from inside strace maybe? Do an lsof -n | grep oowriter or whatever once it is frozen?

Thanks for the strace tip. It was hanging trying to connect to an unresponsive network printer through cups. I deleted this printer from the cups list and that did it, but I'd argue that OO should recover more gracefully from this kind of problem.

Display doesn't shut off

ACPI prob? Maybe try to fiddle with ACPI=blah on kernel commandline.

I'll try a few options and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help,

f.