Re: Oracle 8.1.7 on Fedora Core 2 aka tettnang

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 09:57:43AM -0400, Ken Rice wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am Fr, den 21.05.2004 schrieb Ken Rice um 06:55:
> >

> > > Is it possible to install this release of Oracle on FC2? (9i or
> > > later isn't possible)

> > http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/OracleDB10gInstallationOnFedora1.php
> >
> > So what's preventing from installing on Fedora Core 2?
> Sorry for the confusion. 9i and 10g are out of my picture. I must
> stay with 8i as that is what my company's software currently runs
> on. No other reason.

> I will be exporting an Oracle 8i db that is currently running on
> Solaris 9 and will be importing it onto a FC2 box running

First ask other oracle folks (oracle and user groups).

I guess the question stands "... what's preventing from installing on
Fedora Core 2?"   What error do you get.

Perhaps if we decompose the problem....
  Is it the installation process that fails?
  Is it the runtime Java that fails?
  Is it bin tools that fail? (gawk, sh, bash, sed etc.)
  Is it the runtime Oracle that fails?

The only Linux Oracle experience I have is 9i.  There the install
process depends on a Java environment to do most of the hard work.  Is
that the component that is failing?

After Java had done it's work then there is a runtime link and
configuration step that involves the compiler, glibc, and other
'native' components including compatibility flags and libraries. Is
that what fails?

All have potential solutions that involve the installation of
run time libraries you might be able to solve them one at a time.

For debugging problems, do not ignore the text based install and tool options.
Display magic is one of the difficult porting issues.

Install as many 'compat' libraries and tool sets as you can find.
Things like compat-gcc, compat-libstdc++,....

Run strace -f -o /var/install-oracle-logfile 'install-oracle' and
follow the various twists and turns to see what libraries are involved
and where things break.

Use the oracle-9i and other Linux install+update tricks from the net
as hints to short cut the list of things to try.

Some things might be resolved by compiling or copying OLD library packages
to FC2 and including them by specifying them for the runtime link loader.
Here are some 9i tricks I have in a file.
   # Use old Linuxthreads with floating stacks instead of
   # the new Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL)
   export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
   export THREADS_FLAG=native
   # Edit paths
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/a/o9i/product/9.2/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
   export PATH=/a/o9i/product/9.2/bin:$PATH
Modify things as much as you can to make it 'look' native to Oracle.

Search for smaller historic update successes. i.e. 8i and a single
Linux version change.

If the problem seems to be in Java then try and debug that.  The big
hitter for Java is threads.  Other Java and FCn issues are in the archives.

The last version of oracle 8i (R3) came out about Aug 2000.  Are you
running 8i-R3 or and older R1/R2.  R3 is nearly four years back....
Do evaluate your options you could be doing a lot of work to get the
old crud to run when a total update would be more cost effective!

   * consider an update to Oracle.
     i.e.  what breaks when you update Oracle?

   * consider the older Linux release (just firewall the box well).
     i.e. go or start with what works

   * install on an old Linux/RH version and then update to current to debug.

   * find out what is driving the move from Solaris.
     expensive hardware, performance, expensive support,
     -- talk to sun for a deal.
     expensive Oracle license?
     -- talk to Oracle
     client side compatibility issues?
     -- these are painful and require relentless attention.

Remember that Oracle 8i on Solaris and Linux may not be equal.  The
number of local modules and local changes may make a move to 10i as
easy as a move to Linux. Sometimes a bold update is less painful and
adds more clarity to the problems.

Oracle does a lot of things very well including Oracle to Oracle
interoperability.  What if the data base was migrated to a Linux box
running a current Oracle and the old Solaris simply connect to the
new box.  The interactive part might stay on Solaris and be migrated
later.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l