Re: Filesystem corruption, data loss on usb drives, and more problems with FC2

Hi all,

Fernando Perez wrote:

First I'll try to use one of Arjan's kernels and see what happens. I'm definitely seeing usb-storage problems which are critical to me (we use external USB flash disks, hard disks and DVD burners, so that's a showstopper). Since many others are reporting USB problems as well, I'm sure this one is not my hardware.

I just grabbed Arjan's last kernel

Linux planck.colorado.edu 2.6.6-1.421smp

Same usb mess. The problem is completely reproducible: a large rsync to a usb 2.0 flash disk will eventually trigger this message in the kernel:

Jun  3 18:09:53 planck kernel: usb 1-6: control timeout on ep0in
Jun  3 18:09:53 planck kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error
recovery: host 3 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

Once this happens, there's no recovering, of course.

Many others are reporting similar usb-storage problems, with the same 'control timeout on ep0in' message. Smells to me like a kernel bug, though I could be wrong.

For the record, yes, I see the DPMS problem too, although I haven't
looked into it yet.

Another annoyance, hopefully someone will look into it. I'll file on bugzilla later, since this one has been confirmed by several people already (on and off-list).

Still confirmed with the new kernel. I'll try with a few acpi=something options and see what happens.

Thanks for the help,