Re: only critical packages in minimal installation

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 13:25:17 PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman
(mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I'm not sure how this helps during installation.  Can I NFS mount the
> target directories before starting to load the packages?
>
> Actually, I've always wondered (less so now, with disks so cheap, but
> still with my little laptop) what it would take to do a "network-adapted"
> install where some directories (/usr/share, e.g.) are shared by all
> systems in the network.

The limitation of this approach, of course, is that if the weak
machine is *always* networked, then maybe is better to just go for
some existing thin client solution. If it's going to stay alone (ie
*without* an NFS or other server) all or most of the time, then it
would be crippled all of that time.

Of course, if anybody does it, please let us know.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         http://www.rule-project.org/

In a hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account
was, the type of house I lived in, or the kinds of clothes I wore, but
the world may be much different because I was important in the life of
a child                                         Author unknown