Re: Need help with a DNS problem

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 13:41, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Compare your FC2 systems resolv.conf to your other systems.  I am
> > thinking you will find a difference.
>
> Both have the same /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> I'm still stumped.
> allen

hmmm, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file also.  There should be a line
there something like:

hosts:  file dns

This tells your system what order to search things when resolving
names.  The example above says check the /etc/hosts file first then
dns.  You may by default have an entry for nis as well.  If you are not
running nis then it should not matter.

You probably don't want to put dns first.  I have always found it useful
to be able to override dns results by putting entries in the hosts file
when needed.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>