Re: only critical packages in minimal installation

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, George N. White III wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, M. Fioretti wrote:
> >   [...]
> > Of course, this doesn't address the RAM/CPU issue, but it does help
> > substantially with the disk space issue.  My little 486 laptop does yeoman
> > duty as a DSL firewall/router, and it doesn't need docs or man pages to do
> > that.  It does have barely enough RAM, but recent versions of Anaconda
> > don't run on many 486's.  My last upgrade was to install RH7.3 with the
> > RULE installer (which worked great).
>
> Another way to address the disk space issue is to replace non-essential
> directories with symbolic links to a copies moved to an NFS server.  This
> allows me to do updates in the usual way without encountering space
> constraints.  The server is also used to store updates, and is not
> required for normal operation.

I'm not sure how this helps during installation.  Can I NFS mount the
target directories before starting to load the packages?

Actually, I've always wondered (less so now, with disks so cheap, but
still with my little laptop) what it would take to do a "network-adapted"
install where some directories (/usr/share, e.g.) are shared by all
systems in the network.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences