Re: Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

Sean Estabrooks wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:05:53 +0800
Christopher Chan <cchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

Right. So if manufacturer is restricted from doing just that then too bad, don't use whatever they are able to give you. That's like, hey, you can use it but you ain't gonna cause the driver doesn't come with freedoms. I guess in your case it don't matter too much since you obviously don't need features provided by non Free/Open drivers.

I guess I just glad there's a Zoran driver available but hey, if I can find a MPEG2/4 encoder card with binary drivers that work, i ain't gonna sniff at it let alone go around telling people they should not buy/use it.

<snip>

There's gratitude for you. Do you care nothing about the developers
who created Linux for you? Do you not understand _how_ it came
to be that you have access to Linux in the first place? Don't you understand that you only have Linux due to the commitment to
open source shown by the people who created it?

What, may I ask, do the developers of Linux have to do with this? The developers of Linux may get round to writing a driver they have specs for. How am I ungrateful if there is nothing on which the developers can work on and the company goes/has to go binary driver path?

Are you so self centered that you can't even for a moment think about what you can do to support the people who gave you this gift? Do you not understand that without open hardware on which to run, Linux as you know it is in a world of hurt? Perhaps you could show just a little more thankfulness and respect for Linux by supporting the people and process that created it.

Which planet do you live on? Like there is a lot of open hardware around to pick from. I've done what I can as I am able/allowed to but I sure am not turning down the only alternatives to non-existent 'open hardware' and going around saying you should not buy/use them when there are no alternatives.