Re: [FC2] Booting from SATA disk Gigabyte 8IPE1000PRO2

Marc Lucke wrote:

I have asked what looks like it might be a cold, lonely question about booting with the FC2 kernel from my SATA drive on my Gigabyte 8IPE1000 PRO2 m/b so I'm going to pop the question: does anyone out there have similar problems? Better yet does anyone have a motherboard/sata combo like me? Can you relate your experience? Then I'll know if my problem is something dumb that is specific to me or if it is a problem with FC2

From your previous post:

"I can get FC2 (kernel 2.6.5-1.358smp) to boot by mounting the initrd; editing linuxrc to load the mod_scsi, libata, sd_mod & ata_piix modules on boot; and then unmounting and replacing the original initrd. This is OK in that it works however from about kernel 2.4.24 it was unnecessary; the sata drive showed as "hde" and performance was many times better. "

Since no one else has replied, I will give this a shot. With the 2.4 kernel, you were using the PATA driver for the SATA. Since you have loaded libata, you are using the new PATA driver with the 2.6 kernel. I am not sure which SATA chipset your motherboard is using (GigaByte web site is unclear), so you might want to look at:

   http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/May/1809.html

and see the status. libata is still new, and supports some chipsets better than others. Could be libata is having problems with your chipset? Might also be a setting in your bios.

Maybe you could not load libata and ata_piix on your next boot, and see if you can get better performance using the PATA driver.