Re: Problems getting 2 NICs to work.

[ Sorry, the first reply got scrambled by mailman ]

Am Mo, den 17.05.2004 schrieb Kevin Kimmell um 16:01:

> I didn't realize I was "hijacking" a thread. I reviewed all of the
> threads that accumulated over the weekend and didn't see anything that
> appeared to cover this topic. I did post this same message to a forum
> and have got little response so I thought posting to this somewhat
> active list might garner quicker help. I apologize for any rules that
> broke.

Thread hijacking does not mean that you reask a question previously
answered, but that your own posting appears to be part of an unrelated
topic. So your mail header contains

And yes, this is the proper "forum" for asking such questions regarding
Fedora use.

> The patch level I'm using is .2188 on all machines.

Ok, good.

> Running the "ping -I eth1 yahoo.com" results in an unknow host error.
> All troubleshooting techniques that I would use for normal network
> problems seem to say that traffic isn't getting past the machine when
> have the 2nd NIC running.

Please paste the ifcfg-eth[0,1] configuration files (they are in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/).

> The separate IPs are set up on two physically separate NICs so I am
not
> using aliases. Since the 2 different class C's are running over the
same
> switch plane I did initially try to use virtual/aliased IPs on the
main
> eth interface but when I had problems decided to just enable the 2nd
NICs.

I am confused by you mentioning class C's. So you have 2 complete class
C nets your own, meaning 12.168.88.0/24 and 204.117.218.0/24? That would
means 2 times 256 IPs (508 usable). Or are you just speaking of 2 IPs,
both each from a class C net? That would make a big difference.

> The newest machine that I set up is using patch level 2115 and I let
> Fedora do the networking setup via the graphical installation and I
gave
> each ethernet interface an available IP on the two different networks
> but it still has this same problem. I'm reading that entire HOW-TO now
> and hope to find something to help. If anyone has anything else for me
> to try, I'd appreciate any pointers.

Do both NICs appear in "cat /proc/interrupts"? Does look the output of
"ifconfig" proper? Can you ping the local IPs itself?

> Thanks,
> Kevin

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 17:41:25 up 4 days, 15:26, load average: 0.26, 0.13, 0.10
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]