Re: Up2date Channels Right?

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Mo, den 03.05.2004 schrieb David Cartwright um 03:52:

Above pages read and followed I think? Results puzzling.
Ran Up2Date from icon using this setup...

yum channel ibiblio-fedora-core-1 from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/
yum channel ibiblio-updates-released from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

and got response /everything up-to-date./

Ran yum from terminal with following setup......

name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

and got several hundred file returns. Why the diff responses and is my yum setup giving me file returns I shouldn't be getting?

Just a guess, but if your up2date source file yum entries look exactly
how you pasted it in your mail, then it must fail. Yum is certainly
giving you the proper information about updates available.

What I pasted above is feedback from Up2date process. I cut and pasted to the sources file your article lines exactly as written in your article - no changes. I used above lines to explain what I had done because I could not open and paste info from sources file while not in root....my mail was in a user folder.

Thanks for help
David

See in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources the comment:

### an yum style repo
### format:
### type  channel-label     url

You see that "channel ibiblio-fedora-core-1 from" is a 3 word naming,
while the channel-label has to be a single word. If you would run
up2date in CLI mode you would see

$ up2date-nox -u
Error parsing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
at line: yum channel from chemnitz-fedora-core-1 http://....

and up2date failing. So correct your sources file for up2date. [ Please
keep in mind too, that the ibiblio.org mirror server I took in my
article is just an example. There might be a better fitting mirror for
your location. ]

Alexander

Is there a way to limit number of files returned for updating by yum....I would like to handle updating for no more than 10-15 at one time so I feel in control. BTW, I replaced yum conf file with the large one referenced in on-line article. Ran yum check-update and got numerous files listed; did nothing else because not sure what will happen if I try to yum update with all those files supposedly destined for the update queue??? Up2Date still returns zero files and says everything up-to-date.

Regards,
David