Re: Change UDMA level in running system (was Re: disk problems or false alarm??)

Am Sa, den 01.05.2004 schrieb bit um 19:59:

> Using "hdparm -i /dev/hdX", I found out, that both of my hard drives run in
> udma2, while they are capable of udma5.
>
>  PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>  DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
>  AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
>  Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1:
>
> I didn't investigat this any further, apart from reading the hdparm man pages,
> but is it advisable to change from udma2 to udma5 in a completely installed
> and configured OS generally (or FC1 in special) ?

Normally the kernel automatically sets the proper transfer rate and mode
automagically. There are just few cases where it makes sense to override
that manually.

I does not only matter for which transaction mode your hard drive is
capable but also which modes the IDE bus controller chip supports. Given
that your motherboard/IDE controller supports UDMA5 too like your hard
drive, then you can change the mode with:0)100MB/sec

hdparm -X69 /dev/hdX

But if your motherboard only supports ATA33 (UDMA2) or you have just a
40pin IDE ribbon cable the change will not happen or change anything.

> Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I felt it was kinda "apropriate". :-)

No, it is no hijacking, your question just focuses on a specific part of
the original thread. Don't worry ;)

> Thanks for any help.
>
> > Alexander
>
> Have phun,
> bit

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 20:50:09 up 4 days, 19:38, load average: 0.31, 0.38, 0.27
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]