Change UDMA level in running system (was Re: disk problems or false alarm??)

Am Samstag 01 Mai 2004 01:18 schrieb Alexander Dalloz:
> Am Sa, den 01.05.2004 schrieb Guolin Cheng um 00:51:
> > Hi, William,
> >
> >  Thanks.
> >
> >  Then how to increase PCI IDE disk speed through adjusting PCI bus
> > speed? What I've said is: even I tried to improve PCI bus speed by
> > specifying "idebus=66", the sustainable PCI IDE disk data transfer speed
> > is still about 33MB/s, while the hard disks themselves may be capable of
> > providing higher speed. Thanks.
> >
> > I definitely know apple and orange, both fruits are my favorite. :)
> >
> > Guolin Cheng
>
> Do not play with idebus=XX setting, it's pointless. Instead run "hdparm
> -i /dev/hdX" where X is the drive letter. It will print with which mode
> and at which speed rate the drive actually works:
>
>  PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>  DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
>
> This example shows the drive is capable or PIO mode, DMA modes and UDMA
> modes. And it shows that the current mode and speed is UDMA5.

Using "hdparm -i /dev/hdX", I found out, that both of my hard drives run in
udma2, while they are capable of udma5.

 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
 Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1:

I didn't investigat this any further, apart from reading the hdparm man pages,
but is it advisable to change from udma2 to udma5 in a completely installed
and configured OS generally (or FC1 in special) ?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I felt it was kinda "apropriate". :-)

Thanks for any help.

> Alexander

Have phun,
bit