RE: disk problems or false alarm??

Hi, Alexander,

> Be aware, that idebus does not mean UDMA speed (like UDMA33 or
UDMA100)
> or the speed in MB/sec. On actual PC architecture the 32bit PCI bus is
> rated at 33 MHz as well the IDE bus. So setting idebus to anything
other
> than the default of 33 is nonsense.

 Then that means for normal ia-32 machines, the PCI&IDE Bus speed is
mostly 33MHz/s, and so the sustainable IDE disk access speed is always
no more than about 33MB/s?  I tried several types of Linux boxes, the
long-time disk access is about no more than 35MB/s.

 And there are no other means to accelerate disk access speed? Manuauly
setting IDE disk's access mode (UDMA2/3/4/5/6) with hdparm has no big
difference, as far as from my own experience.

 Any other ideas, besides buy ia-64 hosts? Thanks.

 --Guolin Cheng