Re: Xfree86 and KVM

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:55:52PM -0400, ed wrote:

> Just had a strange problem.
>
> One of my systems (system 3) om my KVM suddenly hung with no mouse. I
> rebooted and X would not start because it could not detect my mouse (MS
> Intelimouse). I switched to another mouse (direct attach) and everything
> seemed to work fine. Whenever I attached my mouse to my KVM (Linkss
> 4-port) it would hang.
>
> Since I had port 4 empty, I reassigned my system to port 4 and now
> everything works fine.
>
> Is there any way I can fix port 3? Or is this just an anomally?

It depends on the problem.

Keyboards and mice need power.  Sometimes the power is fuse protected
but most often it is PolyFuse protected.   If it is polyfuse then
the PolyFuse will reset when power is removed for 30 seconds or
so.  See if there are documents on your KVM device that can tell you

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l