Re: Command-line mail program that can send mail FROM multiple accounts?

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:49:02AM -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> My wife has a couple different domain names and consequently a couple
> different maildrops. I'm thinking of setting up an SSH server, fetchmail
> and a command line mail program so she can check/send email remotely
> from these multiple accounts. Is there a program that can handle this?
> Pine wants to do <username>@whatever-domain-you-put-in-the-config.com.
> I'd like her to be able to choose the from address, kind of like you can
> in Evolution, Outlook, and other gui email programs. Any ideas?
>
> Preston

mutt can, just edit your .muttrc to include sendhooks based on who you
are sending to.

# Change settings based upon message recipient
#
#       send-hook [!]<pattern> <command>
#
# <command> is executed when sending mail to an address matching
  <pattern>

#send-hook mutt- 'set signature=~/.sigmutt; my_hdr From: Mutt User
 <user@xxxxxxxxxxx>'
send-hook superman.net my_hdr From: Jay Daniels <jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
send-hook info.net my_hdr From: Jay Daniels <jay@xxxxxxxx>
send-hook cooking.net my_hdr From: Jay Daniels <drs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
send-hook themess.com my_hdr From: Jay Daniels <themess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
send-hook -list my_hdr From: Jay Daniels <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

note: addresses changed.

So if sending To anybody@xxxxxxxx mutt inserts Jay Daniels <jay@xxxxxxxx>
as my from address, etc.

May not be easy to teach her how to use mutt though.  It seems more
difficult than pine to newbies, but all you really need to do is
configure the .muttrc file.  If you use emacs as your editor in mutt,
you need to configure a .emacs file too.  The standard editor in mutt
is vi, so she would have to know either vi or emacs.

If you run a web server, you could setup squirrelmail much easier and
the squirrelmail interface handles multiple addresses or aliases.
Squirrelmail would read her mail from her account on the mail server which
you used fetchmail to get her mail.  Squirrelmail can also get her
mail from all those accounts if you do not want to use fetchmail.

jay