Re: 3Com 3c2000 NIC support? - FC3?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen Spearel" <kas11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Your K8V has a 3c940 chip on the motherboard.  IIRC, much of the 3c2000
> driver was taken from the sk98lin driver originally written by
> Syskonnect to support their wide range of network interface cards, at
> least one of which uses the 3c940.
>
> There were issues with the sk98lin at various points during the run up
> to FC1 release and there have been points since were it got broken...but
> these have always be quickly fixed...the RH/Fedora people in charge of
> these issues are exceptionally responsive.
>
> Anyhow, the Sk98lin driver was functioning fine with an updated FC1
> system although getting to this point from the FC1 release CDs might
> require installation with a $10 Realtek card or something in order to
> acquire the updates...once FC1 is fully updated, the 3c940 on your K8V
> will work with the sk98lin driver.  The sk98lin driver supports a wide
> variety of hardware but is the Fedora supported driver for the 3c940.
>
> If you decide to switch to FC2 Test 3, the installer will find your
> hardware and install the sk98Lin driver automagically.  Test 3 is
> working very well with my K8V.
>
> HTH,
> KAS

Thanks for the clairification on all the chips etc.  Helps a lot.  Once
things settle down a little with the FC2 T3 I may download and switch over
but at the moment I'll cut my teeth on this version.

I am in the process of running up2date but can't seem to tell if it is
acutally installing the rpms.  Time to go searching again through the
archives.

Thanks to all, I've got a FUN weekend ahead of me.
  Dave