Re: 3Com 3c2000 NIC support? - FC3?

Dave wrote:
On my Asus K8V motherboard is a 3-Com 3c2000 NIC. I have downloaded and

compiled the Driver (as far as I can tell, new to this distro) but I am having problems getting it to load with the kernel and trying to configure it. The log file messages had some text relating to the startup of the driver but I cannot access the internet etc.

I followed the instructions to extract the tar, "make load" then

"ifconfig eth0 up", but when I go to the network configuration utilities in FC1 I can't find the card or driver. Nor can I figure out how to load it on boot. The instructions talk about using "/etc/modules.conf file" or insmod . Also as I cannot select the NIC I cannot tell if it is set to use DHCP.

From the readme file
+++++SNIP+++++++++

---SNIP ----

+++++++SNIP+++++++

I use an old computer with Smoothwall on it which provides the DHCP.

Thanks
 Dav

----- Original Message ----- From: "eng.Ilia Dulgerov" <ilia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>

I had same problem with ASSUS mobo and i found that modprobe sk98lin do
the trick and driver loaded and detected card properly.
nex is ifconfig I assume it is common way to config.
Hope this help
--
///eng.Ilia Dulgerov,  <office@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
// ph.+359 888 541553

Thanks, Question: what is modprobe &/or sk98lin?  As far as I can find with
google sk98lin is for a different NIC and I'm not sure what to do with
modprobe.

You'll see another thread that I just posted to about 10 min ago "Re: 3com
3c2000 NIC support" where I am trying re-compile the 3c2000 drivers and get
them into the /lib/.../net/ directory.

Dave

Your K8V has a 3c940 chip on the motherboard. IIRC, much of the 3c2000 driver was taken from the sk98lin driver originally written by Syskonnect to support their wide range of network interface cards, at least one of which uses the 3c940.

There were issues with the sk98lin at various points during the run up to FC1 release and there have been points since were it got broken...but these have always be quickly fixed...the RH/Fedora people in charge of these issues are exceptionally responsive.

Anyhow, the Sk98lin driver was functioning fine with an updated FC1 system although getting to this point from the FC1 release CDs might require installation with a $10 Realtek card or something in order to acquire the updates...once FC1 is fully updated, the 3c940 on your K8V will work with the sk98lin driver. The sk98lin driver supports a wide variety of hardware but is the Fedora supported driver for the 3c940.

If you decide to switch to FC2 Test 3, the installer will find your hardware and install the sk98Lin driver automagically. Test 3 is working very well with my K8V.

HTH,
KAS