Re: Corruption

Sounds like disk problems... but weird ones. Have you fsck'ed lately? Here's a really WEIRD suggestion... try creating an archive, then creating another archive, then seeing if you get the same error on the second one... if there just happens to be a bad spot on the disk where you're trying to create that archive, the first one will take up the space and the second one would hopefully be on a cleaner part of the disk. If you get an error on the second one too, i dunno man... that's pretty weird. Maybe leave those two archives on the disk and fsck? If there is a file with a bad block in it (rather than a bad block in free space) I would think fsck would pick right up on it.

J.L. Coenders wrote:
Ok,
I did more extensive tests now.
$tar cf - Mail | tvf -
gives no errors.

$ tar czf - Mail | tar tzvf - gives no error either.

For the mail and for other files.
However, when I start writing to a file, things go wrong:
$ tar tzvf <archive> starts reporting errors and
$ tar dzf <archive>
starts reporting differences.

However, when I nfs the files to another computer, I can tar & gzip the files, the test reports no errors and the difference test reports no differences.

But what is strange is that when I tar & gzip from the other computer over the nfs-mount, it starts giving the errors again.

Any ideas?
Jeroen