Re: what am I missing, getting SMTP to work

At 04:49 AM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
Am Fr, den 30.04.2004 schrieb Mike Rambour um 11:15:

>   I am configuring a new machine and I can't get it to work.  I am using
> Core1, all the patches and Postfix.  I am trying to use my Linux box as a
> outgoing mail server from home and not use my ISP's SMTP, I can send mail
> from the Linux machine but not from my home machines (another Linux for me
> and Windows for my wife and daughter).

>   I am using postfix and ps output says
> root      1735  0.0  0.4  7140  620 ?        S    Apr14   0:00 sendmail:
> accepting connections
> smmsp     1744  0.0  0.3  7316  412 ?        S    Apr14   0:00 sendmail:
> Queue runner@01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue

You are not using Postfix. You are running Sendmail.

That is what I was afraid of...I saw the sendmail process and I was hoping that Posftix just used the same name. I did use the Redhat tool for switching to Postfix and even rebooted after using it.

>   My configuration by the way is that the linux box is behind a Linksys
> router so the machine has a 192.168.1.30 address and is on my network.  I
> have tried removing the Linksys and putting the Linux box directly on the
> net and on the linksys with the Linux IP in the DMZ and also just
> forwarding the ports...all 3 configurations gave the same result, port 25
> closed.

Your "problem" is the default security setting to let Sendmail (valid
for default Postfix too) only listen on localhost. That means for
outside connections no MTA is listening on the public port 25.

Go to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, search for the DAEMON_OPTIONS line, read
the comments there and do what's needed. And I highly recommend and
advise you to read the available documentation for running a mail
server.

I did not touch the sendmail conf file, but I did edit the postfix one to listen to all devices and I did a postfix start but sendmail still shows up. I will play some more tonight when I get home.

Mike