RE: what am I missing, getting SMTP to work

At 04:59 AM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
Mike Rambour wrote:
>   I am configuring a new machine and I can't get it to work.  I am
> using Core1, all the patches and Postfix.  I am trying to use my
> Linux box as a outgoing mail server from home and not use my ISP's
> SMTP, I can send mail from the Linux machine but not from my home
> machines (another Linux for me and Windows for my wife and daughter).

See my inserts below...

>    the output of nmap is (From work to home not the same net) says
> smtp is Closed but I cant figure out why:
> PORT   STATE  SERVICE
> 21/tcp open   ftp
> 22/tcp open   ssh
> 25/tcp closed smtp
> 80/tcp open   http
>
>    my iptables looks like this
> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
> tcp dpt:smtp
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
> tcp dpt:http
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
> tcp dpt:ftp
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
> tcp dpt:ssh
> REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
> reject-with icmp-host-prohibi
>
>   I am using postfix and ps output says
> root      1735  0.0  0.4  7140  620 ?        S    Apr14   0:00
> sendmail: accepting connections
> smmsp     1744  0.0  0.3  7316  412 ?        S    Apr14   0:00
> sendmail: Queue runner@01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue

Based on the above ps output, your running sendmail, not postfix. Sendmail,
by default, is configured to only listen on localhost. If your wanting to
use postfix as your MTA, then please run "redhat-switch-mail" to configure
the proper links in /etc/alternatives.

I had already done the switch and rebooted but sendmail was running again. I am going to look into doing the switch manually this time to confirm. I also had already editied main.cf to listen to all devices as a test and that did not help.

 Thank you for the help, I will go play some more

        mike