Re: converting user to linux

Jay Daniels wrote:
has anyone tried to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?

I tried to convert my family to Linux, and ended up converting us all to Mac. Funny but true.

Seriously, though, if you put some work into creating a desktop for her that only has shortcuts for stuff she'll use, and simplify it down so she doesn't get confused or shoot herself in the foot, I could imagine it being OK. I don't see how it could be worse than XP... I find that once you get it set up properly, and if you never leave X, KDE/Gnome desktops are fairly easy to use. The only really super weak spot I have found is office software. Openoffice, abiword, staroffice, all look just plain awful to me. Then again, I'm not much of an office guy...