Kernel RPM & /etc/modules.conf

I manage five Dell servers, running FC1, with NetXtreme BCM5701 NICs.
They use drivers that have to be downloaded and compiled, which works
great, except that when an updated kernel RPM gets installed (either
manually or via yum), /etc/modules.conf gets re-written and the eth0 &
eth1 modules get changed from bcm5700 to tg3.

Occasionally, these machines get rebooted, and if the modules.conf file
doesn't get changed to load the compiled modules, we lose network
connectivity to the machines. Does anyone know what causes the file to
get re-written, or how to change this behavior?

Thanks.
--
Ben Brown