Strange change in message language

Something strange happened to my system this weekend, and although I think I
know what I did immediately beforehand, I don't know how to reverse it.

This started when trying to get clam-av to work.  I notices during an strace
run of the clamav-milter that an LC_MESSAGES file/directory wasn't found in
the en_US locale directory.  IIRC, I had the correct file/directory in every
place else, so I linked to a UK version (hey, I thought UK was United
Kingdom - I've since thought it might be Ukraine...).

Then I found that some of my system messages were coming through in
Cyrillic.  I only have a text-based ssh session here at workm so I get:
[root@davinci log]# service sendmail restart
?ù?â?????????????Å sendmail:                               [
?ô?É?á?É?ù?ö  ]
Shutting down sm-client:                                   [
?ô?É?á?É?ù?ö  ]
?ù?????â?ü?? sendmail:                                     [
?ô?É?á?É?ù?ö  ]
Starting sm-client:                                        [
?ô?É?á?É?ù?ö  ]

But please trust me that on an xterm I get the Cyrillic.

Seeing this, I removed the link, restoring the machine to the original
condition.  However, I'm still getting the non-English test.  Any thoughts
on what I should do to see English again?

 -Don