Re: vsftpd ~ftp/pub permission woes for uploads

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 14:16, Matt Hansen wrote:

> directory is owned by user/group root (and the user account is obviously
> not root or a part of the root group). How can I allow real user
> accounts upload ability? "write_enable" is set in the vsftpd.conf file

To add a few extra thoughts to my own question, it would seem that what
I'm trying to accomplish here is not really appropriate (comes from lack
of experience with ftp servers :| ). Since I'm wanting upload ability
for real user accounts, it seems logical that I only need allow upload
ability to each user's $HOME and not the anonymous user area
(/var/ftp/pub). If I wanted to allow anonymous upload ability, *then*
I'd want to worry about ~ftp/pub permission security. But since I don't
want that, which is recommended, I can forget about this issue and leave
default ownership/permissions in place... Apologies for wasting ML
space, but any comments/thoughts from more experienced ftp admins are
still welcome.

Regards,
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.