RE: Problem with redhat-config-network

Am So, den 11.04.2004 schrieb Rick Lim um 07:47:

> already have the io port and irq, thats not the problem, the problem is the old
> card, a tulip, the redhat-config-network lets me select the 3com 509 and set the
> irq and port, but then it says you have selected a tulip card, after I just have
> selected the 3com and set the io and irq.
>
> it seems that the parameters for the tulip card is still set somewere and
> redhat-config-network can't seem to forget about the old card and config the
> new card!!!
>
> I would like to know where this info is set so I can wipe it out.

Two places where the information for the tulip card may be still stored:

a) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
  maybe there are more config files than ifcfg-eth0; having only one
ethernet device there shall be only one ifcfg-eth0 (do not delete the
ifcfg-lo)

b) /etc/modules.conf may still contain an "alias eth0 tulip" entry line.
Adjust that line by erasing tulip and exchanging that with the propber
module name for your 3Com card; additional you should have there an
options line for the 3Com module with the IRQ and IO as parameters

Before changing the things above you should run "service network stop",
run "lsmod" to find out loaded network modules like the tulip, "rmmod"
the module(s), change the settings and finally run "service network
start" and all should be fine. A "cat /proc/interrupts" and "cat
/proc/ioports" will show you used resources by the network card.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:15:24 up 23 days, 1:56, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.13
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]