Re: Some problems getting started

Duncan
Please read below.

duncan brown wrote:

this is to both the person who posted 'Is linux always so frustrating" and to the original poster of this thread.

<snip>

Dov Zamir said:

Hi All,

I am more or less a newb (I last tried Linux about 10 years ago). I
installed RH9 and then upgraded to FC1. My hardware is an ECS K7SOM+
(thatE a SIS730 chipset) with an AMD processor with 256MB RAM.

I originally installed everything, planning to prune what I don need as
time goes on. But when I try to uninstall packages, like the development
packages, I get an error message saying that I have to install about a
dozen different packages before I can uninstall? Any ideas whatE going
on?

This sounds like you are trying to use the "Add/Remove Packages"
(redhat-config-packages).  This program has a limitation in that it only
knows about the packages on the original CDs.  As you do the normal
updates, r-c-p's idea of reality and what you have installed gets further
out of sync.

<snip>

Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always approve of Time's methods.

+( duncan brown
+( duncanbrown@xxxxxxxxx
+( http://www.linuxadvocate.net

As has been suggested,
PLEASE follow the posting netiquette. Trim unreferenced quotes and do not top post.

Your habit of top posting while others in the same thread do the inline or bottom posting makes things very confusing.

Thanks
Jeff