Re: setting up a mail server.

Easiest way to do this is to use fetchmail and either POP3 or IMAP mail server on the Linux box for your clients to connect to. Webmin and Usermin (http://www.webmin.com) web based management for Linux does a nice job for me with setting up fetchmail. There's also some good links on the webmin site, besides the man pages, on how to do this.

This solution doesn't require you to run a public MTA, and your email addresses could all stay the same and remain hosted with your ISP.

You could run CLAM AV for the virus scanning and SpamAssassin/Procmail for spam detection, because each users Linux email account will be storing the emails first on the Linux mbox account, then ultimately downloaded to the client PC's.

Another nice feature is that you can put a beefy hard disk and run an IMAP server so all the emails can be left on ther server (good for road warriors and tele-commuters accessing mail from several PC's)

That should get you started on some good research, and you can do a follow up after you've got a better handle and I'll be glad to try and get you over hurdles along the way.

P.S. I haven't run CLAM AV or SpamAssassin, mainly cause my ISP does a good job of that with email, but I can help you with anything to do with fetchmail and/or IMAP mail server and client setups for either Windows or Linux clients.

Cheers,

BC

paul wrote:

Hi
I'm a newbie and need some help in setting up a mail server for my
local network. i have 5 machines on local network all linked together by
a hardwire router and connected to the Internet by cable modem
(telewest). i would like to download all messages to one machine scan
for virus and spam then forward to others on my network, the messages
are currently stored by telewest in 5 pop3 mailboxes.
can someone please help or point me in the right direction. i've tried
googling but got confused. p.s. 3 of the machines are windows the others are linux fedora.

Registered Linux user #349975

Cheap Inkjet Cartridges www.webstersinks.co.uk