Re: Too many dependencies? was: Is Linux always so frustating?

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Does OOo *really* require Mozilla to install on FC? If so, it *is*
> bad

Yer saying...being able to sync with something like mozilla's
addressbook format is a bad feature? I don't see how it is in the
general use case where Fedora Core aims to sit.

> In general, careless packaging like this means that custom installs,
> selecting packages by hand, are much less effective, since one has to
> install (and later upgrade/maintain) much more than he will ever use
> or need anyway

Why do you assume that this is CARELESS. I think you need to understand
the constraints package builders MUST live under
when dealing with COMPILE TIME features. There are two types of
features...compile time and runtime (plugins). It is quite possible
that getting access to features like mozilla addressbook syncing in
openoffice.org is a compile time only feature...not a runtime plugin.
And if so, the packager has a choice. They can either disable the
feature or enable it and suck in the dependancies. And or the general
use point of view of Fedora, the choice in the case of a compile time
only option to support mozilla integration is clear. Its a choice..its a
trade off...Fedora Core is not aimed at low memory situations.

What you want to complain about..if you are bent on complaining, is
complaining about why this has to be a compile time option and not a run
time plugin..upstream. But i suggest you change your tone a bit if you
want to get people talking about the technical realities of the
situation instead of what you think the end product should look like to
make your niche, low memory, project need easier to build.

-jef