Re: Moving discussions around, a different view

At 10:20 4/6/2004, you wrote:
I believe that the "older more experienced users" will upgrade faster,
not only because they like to play with new toys, but, have they more
confidence in their skills to make stuff work.

To play devil's advocate, it seems that most of the "older more experienced users" have figured out how to do what they want with earlier releases and greatly value stability, security, and robustness. Hence, I do believe that most of this crowd tends to upgrade *later* rather than sooner.

Just a thought for you.

As a community we need to determine what will help the most users and
not choose for our own convenience.

I believe also that a more general list would serve this purpose.

I respectfully disagree. I have some knowledge on a few subjects, and I try to help where I can. However, I do not have the sheer bloody time to wade through 700 posts a day and so I have unsubscribed from some lists and I now delete entire threads from this one. I do actively run through *all* threads looking for subjects which indicate I might be able to help, or intelligently-written and -presented (read, bottom-posted, trimmed, easy-to-use) posts where I don't spend two or three minutes finding the damn question.

I still hang out on redhat-list and shrike-list too, but fedora-list comes close to swamping me.

For the (very large, thank God) group of people who hang around one or more lists looking for opportunities to help more than to ask for help, and of course for the (also very large, thank God) group of people who ask questions and want help, leaving a general list open and available but *also* offering lists which are specific to one release seems to me to provide greater focus and convenience to those who want it, with full "drink-from-a-fire-hose" exposure to those who can take it.

I strongly favor providing more lists (e.g. fedora-list as general, then yarrow-list and others for each release) since I feel that this helps users *get* answers as well as it helps users *give* answers. I find your viewpoint entirely reasonable... I just prefer mine.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com