Re: setenv

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:11:34AM -0700, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:35:59AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to install setenv I dont have it on my FC1 box,
> > Does it come with FC or must I add it?
>
> As other indicated "setenv" is a "csh" (the C shell) built in.
> If you are running "bash" as your shell, scan the bash man page
> for environment, '=', 'env' and 'export'.
>
>     # User specific environment and startup programs
>     PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
>     export PATH
>     COOLWORD=wintergreen
>     export COOLWORD
>     export COLDSTUFF=icecream
>
> See also "tcsh".

I should have expanded on this whole environment thing.

When a process is created the parent process can pass on a set of
variables for context in a region of memory designated for environment
variables.  This region of memory is large but not unbounded.

As far as I know all scripting languages (csh, sh, bash, perl, php,
python, ruby, emacs, ...) have ways to set and manipulate variables in
the environment. For sure programming languages do.  By convention
these are string variables.

So in a "bash" script/program you can set a variable.  In addition to
that you can export it to the environment so a sub process or child
process can see it.

See /proc/*/environ (cat /proc/123456/environ | strings ).

Some user packages tend to overload the users environment with junk
that would better be placed in a config file or wrapper.

To me the interesting environment variables are the ones that
libraries look for and use.  These library centric variables are
interesting because man pages tend to ignore them yet they can
profoundly change how things work.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l