Re: yum update of glibc needs space that's already there

Hi Duncan,

[following broken thread under
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-April/msg00686.html ]

WARNING - OFF-TOPIC content and ramblings on NTFS x linux tools. . .

 On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:50:57 -0500 "duncan brown" <duncanbrown email com>
advised:

|beyond what i said in a previous response to a future posting you placed
on this subject (ouch, brain)

ha,ha - you've become a master of time, it seems . . .  :)

|be CAREFUL with partition magic, or whatever program you use (fips/etc),
defrag'ing windows isn't always reliable, it'll still keep fragmented
files out towards the end of the disk.  i have YET to find a decent defrag
tool that'll move everything towards the center.

I've done some tests with PM 8.01 and it seems to be pretty thorough on
shrinking.

PM might sometimes REFUSE to operate on a given partition (i.e. , when
created by other utils. It's very picky about what he considers
POLITICALLY CORRECT partition boundaries).

But when it DOES accept to shrink a partition, no problems usually happen
afterwards.

The best course of action is to usually use PM itself to create all
partitions to begin with (that's how my 10 Gb HD got partitioned in 9
partitions - 4 NTFS for Win, 3 for Fedora and 2 small FAT16 ones).

Maybe you would like to check these links:

        Defragmenter (win)

                Diskeeper homepage - http://www.executive.com/  ***
download too complicated on this site
                Diskeeper in UK (friendlier) -
http://www.lyonware.co.uk/Diskeeper.htm
                Diskeeper download trial Win2k Server -
http://207.90.4.66/evaluation/455/us_dk80_srv_stdtr.exe
                Diskeeper download trial Win2k Prof   -
http://207.90.4.66/evaluation/455/us_dk80_protr.exe

        Linux resizer for Win -
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
                *** can be used to shrink and then re-stretch a partition
in order to concentrate all files towards the beginning (use 1.9.x though
!)

        Linux repartitioning tool 1 - http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/ ***
good for NTFS and based on ntfsresize 1.9.0 above
        Linux repartitioning tool 2 - http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/
*** good for other FS types

        Linux live CD for partition backup and surgery -
http://www.sysresccd.org/       *** based on qtparted and partimage

Ah, and about your previous post at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-April/msg00717.html  :

Many thanks !!!   :))   I'll try all those tips on my next escape from the
dark side of this dual-boot box.  :(

|+( duncan brown

Cheers

Thiers