Re: Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

On 04/01/2004 09:48 AM, Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

Is the FC1 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel still having problems with SMP and hanging?

Seems to be true on my PC.

I'm due to install some MP servers soon and want to avoid problems (imagine that!).

If said kernel is still having trouble, what's the easiest fix?

I have an Intel Hyperthreading 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 on some no-name box, with an Asus motherboard. I used to crash daily with the SMP kernel (vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp), immediately after logon (basically I could logon once, after each reboot, before logging in became impossible). It also crashed randomly throughout the day. Turning off yum nightly updates helped a little; I think it fixed the logon problem but not the random-crashes problem (not sure though!). Additionally turning off acpi helped a lot, but I still crashed once every three or four days (did not leave it in this state very long, though).

Using the non-smp kernel, vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, works really well (no crashing yet, in about 10 days), even with acpi and yum nightly updates on. So I just use the non-smp kernel. This is a pretty fast computer and I can't really tell any difference in speed--but I'm using it for a workstation, not a server, and it's a lot more powerful than I need for email, browsing, and office apps.

--Matt