Re: I want to force 1/2 duplex from my network card. How?

On Tue March 30 2004 11:18, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

>  Subject says it all. Auto-detect is giving me full duplex, but it should
>  really be 1/2 duplex. Redhat-config-network* doesn't do anything for me
>  to solve this. I want this to be "hard-coded", if you will. Thanks for any
>  advice. Running FC1, fully patched...

Some background information on auto duplex.  In order for auto detect duplex,
both sides have to be set to auto duplex.  If not the default is half duplex
for the side with auto duplex set as it cannot negotiate the duplex setting.
Auto duplex requires that both side agree on a setting.

That being said, if you know that your card is set to auto duplex and it's
coming up in full that would tell me that the other side is also running auto
and this should be the correct setting and there is no reason to touch it.

Now if you card is hard coded to full and the other side is set to half or
auto then you are going to have a problem. Because half or auto will be set
to half causing a ton of collisions and re-transmissions.  If you are looking
for performance then I would suggest that you have both sides setup for full
duplex.  You'll do away with all collisions and re-transmissions due to the
duplex settings as there is no collisions in full duplex mode.

--

Regards
Robert

Smile.....  It increases your face value.