Re: Promise or Highpoint IDE card?

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 22:35, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 31.03.2004 schrieb Brian Chase um 03:43:
> > I disagree, the first upgrade you do with your kernel, you won't see the
> > hard drive, stay away from Promise products with Linux, they admit they
> > have poor or no support for Linux and are software RAID.
> >
> > Here's a good blurb on SATA adapters, a little off topic, but relevant to
> > support and general Linux compatibility.
> >
> > 	http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > BC
>
> But in this special case - for which the OP asked: just plain parallel
> IDE usage, no RAID, no SATA - both cards are supported by driver modules
> offered by the kernel, no third party modules from vendors needed. Or do
> I err?

If it's just plain parallel IDE, then the Promise Ultra TX2 cards are
probably the best card you can get, they were supported by the kernel
for quite some time and they're really cheap. I have one in a computer
and I use software RAID-1 with it and it works great. At half the price
of a FastTrack, you can't go wrong with them.

Jean-Rene Cormier