RE: Fedora core 1 sendmail problems

Thanks Alexander, I may contact you again to help with testing directly. The problem is that my ISP has bound my IP address to the MAC address of the first PC I attached. I can get it changed, but it may take 4 - 8 hours, so I have just set the linksys to masquerade as the first PCs MAC address. If I now bypass the linksys, the cable modem will see the MAC address of my Linux server and not allow me access to the internet. I have another idea based on what somebody else (Bob?) suggested. I have a hub. I will disconnect one of my Windows PCs from the Linksys and connect it to the hub. Then I will connect the hub to the linksys incomig port so that the PC will effectively be on the outside of the LinkSys. That way I can eliminate the linksys from the equation and narrow it to just the cable modem and the ISP. As I said, I don't know of a way to reconfigure the cable modem, if it is even possible. I had never considered that as an option. It is a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 - I'll see if I can find any books I got with it, or search online.

it is possible the ISP began filtering, but it would be a coincidence if they started about the time I began upgrading to Fedora, or within the first few days when I was testing and did not notice the absence of mail. Another thought too - my linksys had an old firmware. I just managed to get some help from linksys tonight in locating the correct firmware and upgrading, I had 2 apply 2 updates. The first preserved all my settings, the second trashed them all, so I had to set it up again.

It does look as though the ISP may be blocking some incoming SMTP traffic in some fashion, but not fully, s I did see the connections, yet the return handshake did not go back out, and I can still send mail. I am not aware of having changed anything on the linksys, but anything is possible.

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp