Re: motherboard decision help

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:09:48PM -0600, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> I personally don't know anyone who has had 100% good luck with the nforce.
> I have avoided it like the plague.  When running linux is your goal,
> standards based hardware is the way to go.  Personally, I only use intel
> chipsets, 3com or intel Ethernet cards, adaptec scsi, etc.

I've got the same board as Randy (In fact I bought it largely because of
his report of having had good results with it). I've installed TAO linux
on it, and with one (resolvable) exception it has been a breeze. I've NOT
installed the nvidia chipset drivers, and have not encountered a need
for them. (I do have an nvidia video card and have the nvidia drivers
for it installed).

Perhaps the kind of problems of which you speak come from the older
nforce (as compared to nforce 2) chipset?

> However, nvidia rocks it where it counts when it comes to 3d support in
> linux.

Yes, but it'd be nice if the drivers were open sourced.

I'm getting over 1800 fps on glxgears at its default size with my
geforce4 MX4/440 board on an athlon 2600+ processor. around 175 fps
when maximized. Not too shabby, I'd say. Only tweak was I had to force
it to use nvidia's AGP support else I get a black screen with a small
Xcursor (which moves around) but nothing else, and cannot switch to a
text screen.