RE: motherboard decision help

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 17:09, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> I personally don't know anyone who has had 100% good luck with the nforce.
> I have avoided it like the plague.  When running linux is your goal,
> standards based hardware is the way to go.  Personally, I only use intel
> chipsets, 3com or intel Ethernet cards, adaptec scsi, etc.
>
> However, nvidia rocks it where it counts when it comes to 3d support in
> linux.

I just installed an nforce2-based Shuttle MN31-N mATX board on the
weekend and things have "just worked" with the exception of graphics (of
course) -- the latest NVidia drivers don't want to work with the latest
2.6.3 kernel, but it works fine with the original 2.6.1 kernel, so I'm
sticking with that for now.  On-board sound and LAN work just fine, as
do the USB and Firewire (well, the Firewire is recognized, I don't have
any Firewire hardware to test out on it).

So far I'm very happy with the Shuttle board.  The price was right for
the performance and capability of the board IMHO.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves@xxxxxx