Re: startx doen't die on logout

Keven Ring wrote a sequel:
> Keven Ring wrote:
>
> > Jeff Vian wrote:

> >> To kill it in that setup  use ctl-alt-bksp and it will return you to
> >> the command line.

> >> If you are in runlevel 5 (graphics) I don't have a clue. :-(

> > I have a laptop + dock station at work with Fedora Core 1 installed,
> > with all of it's packages up to date.  The laptop displays with a
> > resolution of 1400x1050, while my external flat panel only can do
> > 1280x1024.  If I log out of my laptop, the screen becomes completely
> > unusable - that is, a black screen.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does *not*

> > All three laptops have ATI graphics cards, while the desktop at home
> > has a Matrox MGA card.

I have an HP vectra at work with matrox on MB, works fine.
Exact same vectra at home, but with added ATI @work, fails on logout
in mode 5.

I kill (signal TERM, the default) the two copies of gdm-binary instead
of kill -9 X.  It seems to be a cleaner kill.  (Did I just say that?)

> > If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that there might be
> > something wrong when X tries to log out and there are different
> > display resolutions, but that's just a wild stab.

I wonder if it's a problem in the ATI driver?  Anyone have this problem
without an ATI card?

> When I set the laptop to have 2x1280x1024 displays, login/logout works
> fine.  When I reset the display to 1x1400x1050, 1x1280x1024, the X
> Server fails to terminate.

Is this true for repeated login/logout or just the first one or two
times?  ISTR experimenting along the same lines.

--
Oisin Curtin                      Oisin.Curtin (@) PhoenixFltOps (.) com
"Life is a non-renewable resource, use it well." -- Curly++, a survivor.