Re: startx doen't die on logout

Jeff Vian wrote:

Shoshana Rosenthal wrote:

Hi,

I am running fedora 2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp on my PC. I have dual monitors.
The video controller is a VGA compatible controller, NVIDIA Corp.
I have installed NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336
and configured XF86Config. The X session seems to work fine,
with the exception that when I logout of the session, I don't
return to the login window. I have to kill startx from a remote session.

Does any one have any clue what the problem might be?

Are you running in runlevel 3 or 5?

The only way startx is commonly used is in runlevel 3, to start the graphics interface.
To kill it in that setup use ctl-alt-bksp and it will return you to the command line.

If you are in runlevel 5 (graphics) I don't have a clue. :-(

TIA
Shoshana

I don't have any significant insight into the problem, but I can add to it... ;)

I have a laptop + dock station at work with Fedora Core 1 installed, with all of it's packages up to date. The laptop displays with a resolution of 1400x1050, while my external flat panel only can do 1280x1024. If I log out of my laptop, the screen becomes completely unusable - that is, a black screen. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does *not* kill the server. I can ssh into the box, and manually kill the X server process [not startx, as the previous poster mentioned]. This brings the gdm window back to it's original glory. Another person that I know at work has a similar configuration, and has the same problem. Yet another laptop [without a docking station] does not exhibit this problem.

At home, I have a desktop computer with Fedora Core 1 installed, and two 1280x1024 displays. I have no problem logging out [that is, the X server terminates on it's own accord] and getting the gdm login prompt.

All three laptops have ATI graphics cards, while the desktop at home has a Matrox MGA card.

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that there might be something wrong when X tries to log out and there are different display resolutions, but that's just a wild stab.

I'll set the laptop display to 1280x1024 tomorrow, and report back.

BTW - all systems boot into runlevel 5, and have never been booted into level 3.