Re: Software RAID setup at install...

Felix Miata wrote:

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

jludwig wrote:

Holler if I'm wrong, but;
Software raid is not a hardware raid. This means the kernel amd the
proper module(s) must load to access the raid drive. Therefore a
software raid cannot be /boot or / since these must be available at boot.
Now it may be possible to have GRUB load the modules but the kernel must
still be available.

Sorry, you are wrong. I have had, and continue to use with FC1, and FC2
test1, software raid 1 based /boot and / filesystems.

Where's the HOWTO that explains to us nubes? The ones I've seen all seem
to be broken for motherboard ataraid.

Ataraid based raid is not software raid. That is hardware raid that of course requires some software support for management and awareness of status. I am talking about the md0, md1, etc devices managed by the Linux kernel.
You are probably looking for something like this: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ATA-RAID-HOWTO/existing.html which is not for /boot or / partitions.

For a better explanation of the difference and software raid configuration see: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-raid-approaches.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-software-raid.html

Chris