Re: Database Startup

George Lemos wrote:
If someone could just point me in the right direction I would be grateful.
I'm not very sure of what database system has been or not been installed on
this fedora box or what it is called. If I had a little more information I
would be able to more successfully Google what I am looking for. I have
experience with MS SQL7/2000 and ACCESS but never worked with any of the
Linux flavor databases.

My overall goal is to set up phpBB on a box that is running fedora/apache. I
have worked with phpBB before on a windows system, but not with Linux and
its time for me to rollem up and get to work.

The documentation states I need to have PostgreSQL or MySQL. Any suggestions
or recommendations on finding out what I have on this system would be great.
From there I can get down to reading what I need to read to get going.

Thank you.

Both PostgreSQL and MySQL come with Fedora (http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/package-list/).

I can recommend these resources for learning MySQL and PHP as a crash course -

online resources:

MySQL Documentation
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html

PHP Documentation
http://www.php.net/manual/en/

paperback resources:

Managing and Using MySQL (GReese, RYarger, TKing)
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/msql2/index.html

MySQL Cookbook (PDuBois)
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mysqlckbk/index.html

MySQL (PDuBois)
http://tinyurl.com/27j2w

This may be "more info than you need to know" for setting up phpBB on your machine, but I've found them to be good references. I've used phpBB, but I didn't bother with any configuration on it, since it was on another host machine, and not my own. The online MySQL documentation and PHP documentation pages are particularly helpful since they have user-contributed comments as well.

Clint