How to make use of debuginfo RPMs

What are debuginfo RPMs supposed to let me do? Are they there only to help decode coredumps? Do I need to set up any env. vars,. or anything to trigger their use?

I've tried a no. of times to debug through a problem prog., always failing to 'step into' shared libraries (e.g., GTK) unless I've built them locally myself. I've tried linking with and/or running with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and even LD_PRELOAD pointing to files installed with debuginfo RPMs, but I've never been able to get 'into' them via the debugger.

I also haven't been able to find anything definitive on the Net that talks about their use.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature