Simultanous Sounds?

Howdy,

Any ideas on how to have two (or more) applications be able to play
sounds at the same time?  When I have XMMS playing Internet radio, I
can't get system sounds, effects in Frozen Bubble or UT/Q3A, etc.  I've
tried other variations also .. all with no success.  Another example
I've seen is my 'new mail' sound has rung out just as I'm starting to
play Chromium, and Chromium didn't have any sound.  I quit it, started
it again, and it was there.

What sound deamon should I be using, esound, OSS, ALSA .. and how do I
set these up?  And links to webpages to help?

.. err, help?

.mwl