Re: FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Chadley Wilson wrote:

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 06:06, William Hooper wrote:

Chadley Wilson said:

You see now here is a fine example of the balls up that rpms can be.
I go to freshrpms yarrow page and download xmms-acme and when I install
it it tells that it needs itself xmms-acme to install.

Since you are posting about testing-updates (and knowing the general high
quality of freshrpms) I believe you will find out that you are
mis-interpreting the error.  Of course since you didn't post it we can't
help you.

If you believe you are having issues, the Freshrpms list would the place
to post so that the Freshrpms maintainers can see it.

--
William Hooper

Look I am not trying to be snotty :-> I just cant believe that everthing
that is available for linux must have dependencies, If the M$ freaks can
get programs to install with install shields then why cant we do it in
Linux. Thats all.

M$ packages have dependencies. They just mostly use the bloatware technique of hiding it.
Each package tries to install everything it needs and will overwrite what is already there without saying anything if it is the same or newer. The only time you even get a message with M$ install shield is when the dll (library) you are installing is older than the one already there.
(I know, I have done development on M$ packages)
With *nix you may not want to overwrite an older library/package that is needed elsewhere, thus smaller packages and more messages.

The biggest difference is that with *nix packages the distribution is done to keep sizes to a minimum, so it checks for the required dependencies and tells you if there is a problem. It is a trade off. Larger distribution packages and fewer messages versus more messages with smaller packages.