Re: FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 03:51, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Guys
> Maybe this sounds stupid but hear me out,
>
> Every few months there are new releases of Linux distros [operating
> systems] While every one is tweaking the OS the apps are falling behind
> BIG TIME the closest match to any CD-Writing software that you can get
> for windows that runs in linux is K3B, Yes it is brilliant, But look
> around at what people are trying to accomplish with their Linux Boxes.
>
> In the past few days I have tried installing various plugins for XMMS
> and several other things and every where I go I hit a brick wall because
> if the distro isn't to new the app is to old and there are version
> problems, with things like gcc and glib now to get one program to work I
> have to upgrade these and then another program wont compile because now
> I have a newer version. So now I must downgrade and then all the other
> already installed apps don´t work, This is stupid.
>
> I like a challenge, but in the world we live in today there simply isn't
> time to spend buggering around with silly things like this.
>
> I get given fantastic reasons why the new version doesn't work like the
> old and why its no longer backwards compatible, but it doesn't help
> giving me reasons. I need solutions and I am sure there thousands of
> people who agree with me.
>
> Why doesn't some one work on some sort of program installer like the
> Install shield that windoze users are privileged to have.
> This rpm business just doesn't work! Too many issues updates, rebuildb's
> and more.
> I have been a linux user for 5 years and every time its the same story.
> I upgraded to FC1 months ago and still cant setup my disco on it because
> the programs need newer or old versions of the packages on my box.
> Honestly where are we going, We cant penetrate the user market with apps
> like XMMS when Winamp5 has all the bells and whistles.
> I mean XMMS looks like winamp1 for heavens sake. The equalizer still
> takes a few seconds to respond to adjustments, Open office is still just
> as slow as star office and the os take nearly 5 mins to bootup.
>
> Really Guys someone needs to look at the areas that attract people.
> Linux will go no further than a tweakers play ground unless we start
> paying attension to user demand.
>
> Bill concentrated a huge effort in M$ to get the programs to start fast
> and the OS to boot in under 30 secs.
>
> I dont know, maybe I need to become a rocket scientist to use my
> computer.
>
> Please dont take this in bad light, I mean well and will carry on with
> my tweaking till I get it right and I will start again when FC2 is
> finally released.
> But sheess.
>
> Cheers
> Chad

You see now here is a fine example of the balls up that rpms can be.
I go to freshrpms yarrow page and download xmms-acme and when I install
it it tells that it needs itself xmms-acme to install. But how can the
package have itself listed as a dependency. I mean I know the work
around and the package works fine but really now, Its the same as say
john you must sweep the floor and john tells you he cant because he need
himself to be present. This is what wastes time .
Cheers
Chad